You must meet the following eligibility criteria set out by the Government of Alberta before you can join the Self Employment training program:
- Be unemployed (not working or working only sporadically)
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: if you are employed now, DO NOT quit your job before talking to us. Quitting a job without prior consultation WILL adversely affect your eligibility for this and other government-funded programs or benefits.
- Be eligible to work in Canada
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a viable business concept for starting a new business or taking over an existing business where you did not have prior ownership
- Own at least 51% of the business, which will be located in Alberta
- Have the capital or access to capital needed to start and operate the business
- Have the personal attributes to be a successful entrepreneur (self‐motivated, persistent, willing to leave the comfort zone, organization skills, communication skills, etc.)
- Have the skills & knowledge pertaining to the specific products & services of the business
- NOT be receiving business training from a franchise company
- If receiving EI benefits, they must be Regular benefits (i.e., not Medical, Maternity or Paternity).
Prior to being accepted into the program, you're invited to attend a FREE orientation session where you'll get an in-depth overview of the training, the team, our experience, and the government supports available.
If you decide to apply, the entire process will be completed at our west-end location. There is no need to go to government offices for forms or interviews.
The schedule is subject to change. Contact us to confirm the date as it draws near. Classes are scheduled to start on:
May 6, 2019
July 8, 2019
September 9, 2019
November 11, 2019
This program is fully funded by the Government of Alberta for people who are unemployed, have never owned a business before, and are committed to starting their own business right now. There is NO COST for you to attend this program.
The program features 10 weeks of classroom training followed by 16 weeks of coaching and support as you get your business up and running.
The classroom training is taught by experienced entrepreneurs and guest speakers who are experts in small business operations. The topics covered give you a solid foundation of knowledge to start your business.
During the coaching phase, you'll begin the process of setting up and operating your business and serving your customers with the guidance of a mentor.
This is the entrepreneur boot camp! The content is practical. The pace is serious. The guidance is tailored to you. The trainers have been "in the trenches" and they know what works in the real world. Although a lot of material is covered, smaller class sizes mean you get individualized attention and time to get your questions answered as you take the first cautious steps in your new business.
If there's a part of you thinking "maybe I could do this - maybe it's my time," get the information BEFORE you make a decision. See if this program could impact your life like it has for over 1400 others before you. Click on the button on this page and come to a free orientation session.
Helping people develop new directions since 1993